Corrosion of metal happens especially with construction projects. Sustainability is a significant factor when choosing materials and contractors, due to enforced regulations as well as conscious and ethical decisions, to ensure that buildings are as sustainable as possible.
Hot Dip Galvanizing is one of the most environmentally friendly finishing processes available to prevent corrosion. Galvanizing is highly sustainable and produces minimal waste.
What is Galvanizing?
Galvanizing is the process of applying a protective zinc coating to various metals to prevent rust. Once the zinc dries, it acts as a sacrificial coating in order to protect that metal from blemishes. Spray galvanized is an organic cold galvanizing compound to help repair and protect various metal services. Hot-dip galvanizing is a process where the material is dunked into a tank of molten zinc.
Prepared items are galvanized by immersion in molten zinc. The surface of the work is completely covered, producing a uniform coating of zinc and zinc-iron alloy layers whose thickness is determined principally by the mass of the steel being galvanized. This is an important advantage of the galvanizing process – a standard minimum coating thickness is applied automatically.
10 Benefits of Galvanized Steel
There are many benefits of galvanizing structural steel.
1. Economic. Galvanizing is a lower overall cost compared to other coatings.
2. Durability. Coating life and performance are reliable and predictable.
3. Less maintenance. It lasts longer and needs less maintenance.
4. Long life. The life expectancy of galvanized coatings on typical structural members is far in excess of 50 years in most rural environments, and 20 to 25 years plus, even in severe urban and coastal exposure.
5. Toughest coating. A galvanized coating has a unique metallurgical structure that gives outstanding resistance to mechanical damage in transport, erection, and service.
6. Complete protection. Every part of a galvanized article is protected, even recesses, sharp corners, and inaccessible areas. No coating applied to a structure or fabrication after completion can provide the same protection.
7. Hygienic. Galvanized steel is easy to clean surface.
8. Ease of inspection. Galvanized coatings are assessed readily by eye, and simple non-destructive thickness testing methods can be used.
9. Faster erection time. As galvanized steel members are received they are ready for use. No time is lost on-site in surface preparation, painting and inspection. When assembly of the structure is complete, it is immediately ready for use, or for the next construction stage.
10. A full protective coating can be applied in minutes. The galvanizing process is not dependent on weather conditions.
Visit Tampa Steel & Supply for Galvanized Steel
Are you in need of steel supplies? Look no further than the professionals at Tampa Steel and Supply. We stock an extensive list of steel products for whatever project you need to tackle. We’re proud to have served our customers for nearly four decades and are ready to assist you with your steel needs. Have questions? Give us a call today to learn more, or stop by our beautiful Tampa showroom.