Steel is an extremely valuable commodity in today’s world. This useful product has created many livelihoods and has many uses. In fact, steel is one of the most important materials in the history of our planet, but few people know many facts about the versatile material. Here are 15 facts you probably didn’t know about steel.
15 Interesting Fun Facts About Steel
1. Steel has been used for over 1,000 years. The earliest steel product is 4,000 years old. Steel has survived and thrived for many centuries. Even in ancient times, there have been examples where steel has been utilized to make the lives of people better.
2. Steel is used to make tin cans. Chances are that cold beverage you like to drink was made of steel. In fact, 200 billion tin cans are produced each year.
3. Daily steel production is astronomically high. To put things in perspective: 548 Eiffel Towers could be built with the production of steel in one day.
4. The steel industry employs a multitude of people. This industry is thriving, and it employs people from all walks of life. Over 8 million people (which is about the population of the entire country of Switzerland) work in the steel trades.
5. Modern steel is much more efficient than it used to be. The steel of today is not only much stronger than the steel of the past, but it is also about a third lighter as well.
6. Steel has been involved in the production of automobiles for almost a century. The first steel automobile came out in 1918.
7. Steel helped produce the first skyscraper. In 1885, the Home Insurance Building was created. Since then, about 50 percent of the world’s steel population has been through construction.
8. Steel is the most recycled material on earth. Steel can be recycled for up to 150 years after it is first produced. When you purchase steel, it is always recycled.
9. Despite its strength, steel roofs weigh significantly less than roofs made of asphalt, fiberglass, clay, and concrete.
10. Refrigerators made before 2001 contain over 100 pounds of steel.
11. Steel is an important material used in the production of seat belts.
12. Building the Golden Gate Bridge called for 83,000 tons of steel.
13. When it comes to home security, steel trumps other materials.
14. Did you know? Steel is one of the strongest materials in the world.
15. Every year, companies are discovering new ways to make steel an even better material. Over $10 billion has been invested in the research of a higher quality steel material.
Visit Tampa Steel and Supply for Quality Steel and Metal Supply
Are you in need of steel supplies? Look no further than the professionals at Tampa Steel and Supply. We stock an extensive list of steel products for whatever project you need to tackle. We’re proud to have served our customers for nearly four decades and are ready to assist you with your steel needs. Have questions? Give us a call today to learn more, or stop by our beautiful Tampa showroom.