If you’ve ever been to a gas station, grocery store, or anywhere that a car enters or exits, chances are you’ve encountered a bollard. Now, you may not have known the name for the protective barrier other than “that pole I almost hit my car with.” We’re about to change that.
Bollards come in all different sizes and serve several purposes. However, we will be focusing on a variety of bollards that exist. These are six types of bollards and their uses.
6 Types of Bollards
- The use of this bollard is right in the name. If you are in an area that has large events or has vehicles move in and out at certain times of day, removable bollards may be the answer for you. They provide flexibility whenever you need additional space while allowing security when needed.
- On the opposite side of the spectrum, if your property always needs protection, permanent bollards seem to be the answer. As Newton’s Laws of Motion states, “for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.” That said, vehicles who try to pass these bollards will not be going very far.
- Bollards can have fun too. Typically seen in front of retail businesses, decorative bollards serve the dual purpose of providing eye-catching art along and security. Sometimes functionality and aesthetics can exist in the wide world of bollards.
- If you are looking for efficiency compounded by reliability, then look no further than retractable bollards. Primarily used at entry and exit points, these anti-ram bollards limit vehicle access at a building or facility. These bollards raise and lower when triggered by the personnel with the point of control – retracting within the ground then erecting once a vehicle has passed through.
- Similar to retractable bollards in utility, however, automatic bollards are a bit more time-efficient for all parties involved. Most likely to be seen in parking garages and areas with a high volume of permission-based vehicles, these bollards provide a quick, but solid security measure as they are best used for people who are the go and need to enter and exit without anyone being involved.
Flexible Plastic Bollards
- You’ve seen these anytime a highway or intersection is undergoing construction or where lane delineation seems to be an issue. Flexible plastic bollards are unique in that they can be knocked/ran/run right over and pop right back up in their original position no worse for wear. Additionally, these bollards are ideal for their high visibility along with their durability.
When there’s a need for area security, there’s a bollard for it. The sturdy, sometimes removable, sometimes retractable, sometimes flexible poles provide a bevy of options to protect your place of business. So, on your next project, reference this when selecting the style of bollard that best fits your needs!
Visit Tampa Steel & Supply for Steel Bollards
Are you in need of steel supplies? Look no further than the professionals at Tampa Steel and Supply. We stock an extensive list of steel products for whatever project you need to tackle. We’re proud to have served our customers for nearly four decades and are ready to assist you with your steel needs. Have questions? Give us a call today to learn more, or stop by our beautiful Tampa showroom.