There are many reasons to use a band saw. However, there are many different types used for different types of projects. This article will outline what a band saw is, how it works, and its different types.
What is a Band Saw?
A band saw is a tool used to cut materials. It has a long blade with toothed metal to really get the precise cut you need. They also come in different sizes and configurations powered by a motor. They can be portable or set on a stand, depending on the project.
How a Band Saw Works
Band saws work by having their teeth sink into wood, metal, or other materials to precisely cut based on the user’s needs. Different types of blades determine what kind of cut you will get. However, the narrower the blade will result in tighter curves. Blades for woodworking work best with fewer teeth.
The different types of blades include hook tooth blades, skip tooth blades, wavy tooth blades, and toothless blades. The one you need varies depending on the project. Consult a professional to determine the right kind of tooth you need.
The Different Uses of a Band Saw
Band saws are used for a variety of cutting. The most common use is woodworking. This is so people can get the most precise cut they need for their project.
Another use for a band saw is ripping lumber. Ripping is when someone cuts down a large piece of lumber along the grain. The main reason people do this is to take an unusable piece of wood and cut them down into smaller pieces that would work for another project.
The last use for a band saw is for metal cutting. This type of saw has blades that are highly precise, making it perfect for cutting metal. Common types of metal people cut with a band saw are metal tubing, sheets, and planks.
Types of Band Saws
There are many different types of band saws depending on the need and the project you want to accomplish. These different types include
- Vertical Band Saws: This type of band saw is used for cutting metal as they can cut through hard and tough materials.
- Horizontal Band Saws: This is very common for people who want to craft something. Horizontal band saws are used to cut down larger metal parts into more workable pieces.
- Double Cut Band Saw: This type of band saw has two blades that cut in opposite directions. This is commonly used when they are doing heavy dirty work such as construction. They are commonly used for wood but work fine for plastic as well.
- Benchtop Band Saw: This saw is known for the power it produces. People use this particular saw when they need an intricate cut.
- Resaw Band Saw: This saw helps cut lumber along the grain instead of against it. They minimize wood wastage as it minimizes larger sections into smaller ones.
Visit Tampa Steel & Supply for Quality Metal and Metal Processing Services
Do you need help with woodworking or metalworking? The experienced professionals at Tampa Steel and Supply are here to help. We provide the highest quality of services to our customers.
Request a Quote Online
Or Call Tampa Steel & Supply at (813) 241-2801